Signs of Termite Infestations
Because termites can go unnoticed for such a long time, it’s essential for residential and commercial property owners to know when to call a termite exterminator:
- Termites create mud tunnels about the width of a pencil that can be seen running along the foundation of your home and sometimes even in your basement.
- Walls or other wood may emit a hollow noise if knocked or tapped upon.
- Walls may appear splintered or blistered.
- Ceilings, floors, and doors could appear warped in severe cases.
- Piles of shed wings may be seen. The swarmers themselves are occasionally seen as well.
Preventing Termites in Your Home
When it comes to preventing termites, your number one priority should always be to receive annual inspections from a professional pest control company. In between visits, there are a number of things to do that may lessen your chances of getting an infestation:
- Eliminate sources of standing water in or near the home as well as any moisture problems, such as a leaky faucet or broken water pipe.
- Be cautious of areas in the home where wood is in contact with soil.
- Keep piles of firewood or other wood away from the foundation of your home, and eliminate any sources of decaying lumber.