Every year during the fall, residents in Washington deal with an influx of pests that are looking to escape the cooling temperatures. Boxelder bugs and stink bugs are two types of insects that regularly invade homes when summer comes to a close. To prevent an infestation inside your property, it’s crucial to understand the behavior of these pests and learn how to prevent them from making their way indoors. Read on to learn some of Western Exterminator, formerly Pratt Pest’s top tips for keeping boxelder bugs and stink bugs away from your home this fall.
Stink Bug or Boxelder Bug?
A lot of people confuse these two insects, which are actually quite different in both appearance and behavior.
- Stink Bugs
- As their name suggests, stink bugs release a foul odor when they are stepped on, crushed, or threatened.
- They have a triangular-shaped plate on their backs and are gray-brown in color.
- They aren’t aggressive, dangerous, and will not attack people.
- After they are inside, they often hide behind walls, crawl spaces, and more.
- Boxelder Bugs
- These bugs are commonly found in boxelder and ash trees.
- They possess characteristic red markings on their black bodies.
- While they aren’t aggressive, they have been known to bite if threatened.
- In the fall, they congregate on the sides of walls or wherever the sun hits.
How to Keep Boxelder Bugs and Stink Bugs Out
Your best bet at avoiding a boxelder bug or stink bug infestation in the fall is to protect your home. There are several ways you can keep these fall invaders outside:
- Get rid of the typical hiding spots for these bugs, which includes decorative rocks and piles of wood.
- Remove excess debris inside and outside your home.
- Inspect your property and seal any cracks or crevices you come across.
- Eliminate moisture issues by fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
- Keep a tidy home by cleaning up messes and sealing food properly.
Controlling Fall Pests in Your Home
Boxelder bugs and stink bugs can be elusive, meaning they may still find their way inside your property unnoticed. If you notice any of these bugs inside your property, it’s best to call a professional. The team at Western Exterminator, formerly Pratt Pest has what it takes to remove these bugs and keep them away—for good.