Bees and wasps play an important role in our ecosystem and are a normal part of daily life. So how do you know when they’re dangerous? Yellow jackets are known to get more aggressive in the fall as their resources begin to diminish, which is why they’re frequently seen around outdoor barbecues and picnics seeking food. Even worse, they will sting more than once and without provocation, which is why it’s important to know how to protect your home and family from these stinging insects in the fall.
What Makes Yellow Jackets so Aggressive?
While yellow jackets and wasps are known to be somewhat hostile all the time, but they become especially more so in the late summer and fall. During the spring and summer when flowers are abundant, they have plenty of food sources. However, their populations grow throughout the summer, which forces some of the stinging insects out of their overpopulated nests and into residential areas. Some of the things yellow jackets will be attracted to outside your property include:
- Uncovered food or trash cans containing food
- Sources of standing water, such as fountains, swimming pools or hummingbird feeders
- Lawn insects such as grubs, which are fed on by stinging insects
- Eaves or holes that allow them to build new nests.
How to Prevent Wasps in the Fall
The best way to protect you and your family from yellow jackets is to know how to keep them away. Some of the ways you can lessen the risks of yellow jackets invading your outdoor events this fall include:
- Keep all food and trash covered with tight-fitting lids
- Don’t wear bright colors or fragrant perfumes
- Seal all holes and crevices around the home
- Get rid of sources of standing water, and place a cover over your swimming pool.
Professional Help to Prevent Wasps
When it comes to dealing with yellow jackets, it’s important to always take caution. Especially when nests are involved, it’s best to get professional help. Yellow jackets are especially aggressive in the fall, and will sting more than once even if they aren’t threatened. The experts at Pratt Pest Management know what it takes to protect your Everett WA home from yellow jackets all season long.