Anyone who has had an ant infestation will tell you how frustrating they are. Ants are notoriously difficult to control without an ant exterminator, which is why it’s so important to learn how to prevent them in the first place. With the weather warming up here in the Marysville WA area, ants are coming out in full force as the worker ants leave their nest in search of food and water. Now is the time for ant-proofing your property! Here at Western Exterminator, formerly Pratt Pest, we’ve prepared our top ant prevention tips for you to keep ants out in the coming months.
What Are Ants Drawn To?
Like most types of pests, ants are always in search of food and water. Kitchens in homes tend to be a hot spot for ant infestations. If you have crumbs on your counter tops, stovetop, or floor, you can be sure ants will find them. They are also attracted to excess moisture problems–if you have a leaky faucet or pipe that causes a surplus of humidity or moisture, ants will likely be drawn to the area. Usually, ants get indoors through tiny cracks and crevices in your foundation. Once inside, they will gladly take up residence should you give them a source of food and water!
Ant-Proofing Tricks and Tips
Along with info gathered from the NPMA, we’ve compiled a list of ant-proofing tips and tricks for homeowners. Implement the following into your spring cleaning routine this year to lessen the chance of getting ants:
- Inspect the foundation of your home and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep any pet food bowls clean and always clean up after messes and spills. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Make sure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Regularly check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the home.
- Wipe down any countertops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Store food (including pet food) in airtight containers and refrigerate ripe fruit.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
You Have Ants–Now What?
If you’ve done everything you can to prevent ants and implemented the above ant-proofing tips but still find yourself with a growing infestation, it’s time to call the team at Western Exterminator. Our ant exterminators know how to get rid of ants and make sure they don’t come back. Give us a call today to learn more!