Everyone knows there’s no place like home for the holidays. Unfortunately, bed bugs think so too! Because so many people travel during the holiday season, bed bug infestations can be more of a risk than you think. Infestations are commonly traced back to vacations or trips due to the fact that bed bugs can be found in hotels and spread through suitcases. Whether you’re traveling for Thanksgiving or inviting guests to stay, continue reading for Pratt’s top tips to prevent bed bugs.
Bed Bug Behavior in the Winter
Especially during the holidays, no one wants to deal with a bed bug infestation. Although bed bugs don’t hibernate in the same way that some pests do, they sometimes enter a state of diapause. In this state they can survive several months without a meal. That said, this is rare and bed bugs are typically capable of surviving the winter months inside of heated homes. As extremely resilient pests, it’s important to know how to prevent bed bug infestations.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling
As much as you may hate to admit it, bed bugs are often spread through traveling in hotels and airports. Five ways to prevent bed bugs before and after a trip include:
- Packing your clothing in sealed plastic bags and using a hard-case suitcase
- Researching before booking a hotel room by reading through reviews for mentions of bed bug problems
- Inspecting your hotel room thoroughly by pulling back the sheets to look for live bugs or signs of bed bug activity
- Placing your suitcase on luggage racks, on top of furniture, or inside of a bathtub inside hotel rooms
- After your trip, washing all clothing in hot water and steam-cleaning your suitcase before storing it away
Bed Bug Control Services
If you’ve done all you can to prevent bed bugs and still find yourself with an infestation, it’s time to call a bed bug exterminator. At Pratt Pest Management, we know how frustrating bed bug problems can be and have the experience needed to provide effective bed bug removal. To learn more about our bed bug control methods, give our team a call today!