The Dangers of Ant Infestations
An ant exterminator knows the damage that can occur from various species of ants. As annoying as they are, most ants are primarily a nuisance and cause little damage.
Several species, however, can be more destructive: pharaoh ants have been known to infest stored food, and carpenter ants can cause structural damage by weakening wood. A few of the reasons why carpenter ants are such a threat include:
- They are highly social insects that maintain multiple nests inside and outside the home.
- A mature colony may be extensive in size and consist of a main nest and additional satellite nests consisting of 10,000 or more workers.
- They cause serious damage to structures by mining into wood to create nesting galleries.
Preventing Ant Infestations
Preventing ants from finding food, shelter, and water is the easiest method of avoiding an ant invasion. Because ant removal can be difficult once you have an infestation, the best method of ant control is prevention. A few actions you can take to deter ants from your home include:
- Eliminate their source of water by fixing leaky pipes and keeping moisture levels normal.
- Limit their access to food by cleaning up spills, keeping food properly stored, and using lids on trash cans.
- Block their entry points by ensuring your home is properly sealed and all cracks are filled.
- Control ant populations outside your home by inspecting your property for signs of activity or large nests.